J. Sonia Edwards, MS HRM, PHR
Enthusiastic Human Resource professional with twenty years experience. In her current role she is HR Manger in Manufacturing Industry and founded, the Human Resource Solution to help Caribbean HR practitioners enhance their impact. Sonia holds a BA Spanish, MS in Human Resource Management – Nova South Eastern University, MS Professional Studies with a concentration in HR Development – Drexel University and a Certificate Public Admin – UWI Cave Hill.
Presentation: How to Become an HR Influencer
It’s easy for HR to get bogged down with transactional activities that need to be addressed daily; Time and Attendance, Recruiting, Orientation and Benefits. Everyone looks at HR to solve every problem that arises in the workplace. One of the concerns. HR Practitioners have expressed is that they wish organisation leaders would take HR seriously. They want to be viewed more than ‘paper pushers and the compliance police’. Sonia teaches that its key for HR managers to harness the tools, experience and support they need to develop into key HR influencers. This is what she says to HR professionals with such a desire
• Create a clear mission for what your HR unit is about – clarify your position as a business partner
• Develop relevant competencies – while you look after others pay attention to your own development
• Become savvy about the business side of your organisation – Don’t shy away from finance & strategic planning
• Develop skills as a change agent – drive vision & skill to influence others
• Periodically check the pulse of your HR impact – be responsive to feedback
If you are in an HR role, whatever your level of preparedness, you need to hear these 5 strategies you can implement to ensure you increase your impact and grow into a key HR Influencer.